12 August every year sees the commemoration of International Youth Day. International Youth Day 2013 will be celebrated under the theme: ‘Youth Migration: Moving Development Forward.’
Youths across the world are encouraged to send a description of any planned activities to email@example.com and a selection of the most creative events are featured on the UN website to give a flavour of what is happening across the world to celebrate this special day.
International Youth Day is commemorated every year on 12 August. The Focal Point on Youth selects a theme for the day with input from youth organizations and members of the UN Inter-Agency Network in Youth development. It also organizes a commemoration of the Day at United Nations Headquarters in New York. The Programme encourages youth around the world to organize activities to raise awareness about the situation of youth in their country. Youth are encouraged to send in a description of their planned activities to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The most creative activities are featured on the Programme’s website to provide a sense of how International Youth Day is being commemorated around the world and to encourage other youth to take action.
Previous Celebrations of International Youth Day include:
- IYD 2012-Building a Better World: Partnering with Youth
- IYD 2011-Change Our World
- IYD 2010 – Dialogue and Mutual Understanding
- IYD 2009 – Sustainability: Our Challenge. Our Future.
- IYD 2008 – Youth and Climate Change: Time for Action
- IYD 2007 – Be seen, Be heard: Youth participation for development
- IYD 2006 – Tackling Poverty Together
- IYD 2005 – WPAY+10: Making Commitments Matter
- IYD 2004 – Youth in an Intergenerational Society
- IYD 2003 – Finding decent and productive work for young people everywhere
- IYD 2002 – Now and for the Future: Youth Action for Sustainable Development
- IYD 2001 – Addressing Health and Unemployment
- First Observance of International Youth Day 2000
There will be a huge range of events taking place across the world. The 2013 World Youth Report (WYR) on Youth Migration and Development will be launched on 12 August! The Report will offer a multidimensional perspective of the life experiences of youth migrants, as well as some insights on the role of youth participation in migration-development policymaking and practice.There will be photography exhibits and competitions at the UN headquarters in New York showing how our world youth experience economic, environmental and social life. There will also be a showcase of youth talent, showing how young people think these problems should be tackled.