Beside the obvious things to look forward to, such as a greater level of independence, college is also a time to take advantage of opportunities. One opportunity that you may want to take advantage of is the option to study abroad. These trips usually last for a semester, but they can extend from a few weeks to a year (or even longer). Here are some pros and cons to help you make the decision:
-One of the best benefits of studying abroad during college is the opportunity to live abroad. Once you graduate and start your career and start a family, it will become more difficult to get up and live abroad for prolonged periods of time.
– You will undoubtedly come out more independent and stronger, which are good skills to have and will influence you long after your study abroad stint ends.
– Living in another country will allow you to immerse yourself in another culture, and learn about new customs.
– The friendships that you make abroad are perhaps the highlight of any study abroad experience. These friendships will be an important part of your experience because you will share the experience together.
– You will be away from familiarity. You will be confronted with new foods, with new ways of living and new customs, with new people, and perhaps with language barriers.
– Many study abroad options may be expensive. This depends on where you study abroad. You will have to weigh the costs of the opportunity to see if you think the experience is worth the possible financial burden.